In the United Arab Emirates (UAE) things are bigger than usual, like the tallest building in the world in Dubai, the Burj Khalifa (829 meters- see photo below).
This country has visions, and implements them too.
It is even more creative than most Western states, an Islamic Lighthouse at the Gulf.
This prosperous Islamic country is the front-runner in creative politics. Inspired by GLOBALO founder Dr Hubertus Hoffmann – who was the first to propose the establishment of a new Minister of Tolerance in his Arab book Codes of Tolerance in the capital Abu Dhabi in 2015 (picture above at the Abu Dhabi Book Fair) – Shaikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, the Vice-President and Prime Minister of the UAE and Ruler of Dubai established the first State Minister of Tolerance in February 2016.
Al Maktoum explained: “The new appointed ministers will drive policy to create social good and satisfaction. We have now more ministers capable of dealing with change. We want a young and flexible government that will fulfill our youth’s aspirations and achieve our people’s ambitions.”
Since than Sheikha Lubna Al Qasimi (pictured below) is planing and promoting to enhance tolerance in the UAE.
- Now the UAE opens in a new chapter in world history launching the world’s first tolerance charter aimed at spreading the values of tolerance, peace and coexistence.
- This UAE Charter of Tolerance, Coexistence and Peace will serve as a platform to coordinate and energize efforts to achieve the vision behind this objective that was initiated by Shaikh Zayed Bin Sultan Al Nahyan, the founder of the country.
- Shaikha Lubna told that the media is a key partner in promoting coexistence and spreading tolerance among people of different cultures and backgrounds, especially given the rising incidence of terrorism, bigotry and racism in the world. “Positive thinking is key to combating destructive elements and eradicating bigotry, racism, extremism and terrorism.“
- The minister wants as well promote the true image of Islam not only in the UAE, where over 200 nationalities live in harmony, but also worldwide, focusing on human values.
- The young shaikha highlighted the vital role media plays in promoting the true image and essence of Islam. She called upon local and international media to support and celebrate International Day for Tolerance to be observed on November 16.
- Shaikha Lubna said that the Cabinet launched the National Tolerance Programme in June as part of the UAE Vision 2021. The programme involves collaborating with federal and local entities under five main themes.
- The National Tolerance Programme is based on the teachings of Islam, the UAE constitution, Shaikh Zayed’s vision and the country’s ethical values, international conventions and common human values.
- The five themes of the National Tolerance Programme include strengthening the government’s role as an ‘incubator’ for tolerance; consolidating the family’s role in nation building; promoting tolerance among youth and steering them away from extremism; enriching scientific and cultural content; and integrating international efforts to promote tolerance.
The programme has set up a Council of Tolerance, which will develop policies to promote tolerance locally, regionally and internationally.
More countries should follow the UAE soon, actively promoting tolerance.