The world is going berserk about the Brangelina split, but the couple is more than just blitz and drama! Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie have been vocal advocates for various global issues. How will their divorce affect their charitable work? We explain it all.
- After making their relationship public, Brad and Angelina founded the charitable Maddox Jolie-Pitt Foundation in 2006.
- They kick-started the project by donating $1 million each to Doctors Without Borders and Global Action for Children.
- The Foundation is named after their oldest adopted son.
- Its main goal is to support people suffering in humanitarian crises around the world.
When the news about the Brangelina divorce first released, Twitter was flooded with fan opinions:
No joke: Los Angeles was hit with a M3.1 earthquake a few moments after TMZ broke news of #Brangelina divorce https://t.co/afzUEbrjlW pic.twitter.com/fheNSSY1ve
— Brian Ries (@moneyries) 20 September 2016
Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie are getting a divorce pic.twitter.com/lEsw1qLNu1
— Joanna Hausmann (@Joannahausmann) 20 September 2016
We reacted quickly to the separation of #Brangelina. The couple’s wax figures are now featured at a respectful distance from each other. pic.twitter.com/tEgSxzUYTL
— Tussauds Orlando (@TussaudsOrlando) 21 September 2016
What will happen to the Jolie-Pitt Foundation after the Brangelina split?
- Angelina Jolie has already hinted that her eldest son will take over most responsibility of running the organization.
- Jolie recently said, “Maddox is already involved in the foundation and will take over my role when he is older.”
- Jolie has always been the more involved one in the Foundation’s charitable work. It seems that post the divorce, it will mainly be her and her son Maddox who will take over the work.
Angelina Jolie will focus on the cause of global refugees:
- Even though her marriage was going through a difficult time, Angelina Jolie did not give up her commitment to those in misery. In fact, earlier this month she visited the Azraq camp in Jordan. This houses over 37,000 Syrian refugees, as per UN reports.
- She began her work as a UN goodwill ambassador in 2000, and was named special envoy for the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees in 2012.
Brad Pitt will focus on eliminating homelessness:
- It’s believed that Brad Pitt wasn’t as actively involved in global politics as his ex-wife Jolie. However, he is also passionate about working for the disadvantaged.
- He is the founder of ‘Make It Right,’ an organization which builds homes and structures for the underprivileged.
- Pitt has also started ‘Not On Our Watch,’ an NGO which works to stop genocide around the world.
While fans worldwide are disappointed that Pitt and Jolie are no longer a couple, they are still definitely great humanitarian leaders!
Image credit: Nils Sautter/flickr